Wednesday, September 2, 2009

EGGS

I love eggs.



eggs

I'll eat them pretty much any way you can make them, and when eggs are on sale, I buy lots of them!  Eggs are packed with protein for very little.


I've been getting nervous about my major stockpile of eggs that are still sitting in my fridge! The date on the side of the box, (the "expiration date") is fastly approaching, and I don't want to waste them.  So, as I was looking up recipes to use my eggs, I came across some useful information that I thought I'd share.


If you're concerned with buying a big stockpile of eggs, I have good news for you!


According to the AMERICAN EGG BOARD,



"The oil coating which seals the shell's pores helps to prevent bacteria from entering the egg and reduces moisture loss from the egg. RAW SHELL EGGS REFRIGERATED IN THEIR CARTONS WILL KEEP FOR ABOUT 4 TO 5 WEEKS BEYOND THE PACK DATE WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT QUALITY LOSS."

"Properly handled and stored, eggs rarely "spoil". If you keep them long enough, they are more likely to simply dry up. But, don't leave eggs out at room temperature. They'll age more in 1 day at room temperature than they will in 1 week in the refrigerator. Room temperature is also an ideal temperature for bacterial growth."

Excellent news! Now I can breathe a little easier about my sweet little eggs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment