Friday, November 6, 2009

Granola Bars

On Fridays I like to try to do a cooking/baking project with the kids.  Neither of them have school on Fridays, so it's a great day for both of them to be involved.  Today, we decided on homemade Granola Bars!


I researched quite a few recipes, and decided on THIS one.


Gobble Up Granola Snacks


2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal


2 cups quick cooking oats


1/2 cup raisins


1/2 cup packed brown sugar


1/2 cup light corn syrup


1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter


1 teaspoon vanilla extract


A few changes I made:


Instead of oil I used honey


1/4 cup brown sugar instead of 1/2 cup


1 cup of raisins instead of 1/2 cup


I added Wheat Germ and Milled Flaxseed


I used creamy Peanut Butter instead of Crunchy


I added 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips


So, I had my trusty Sous Chefs, Ava and Luke in place, and we began!


Here's Ava measuring the Rice Krispies:


P1010437


And here's Luke getting the Raisins measured.  (And, no, folks, you're not seeing things!  Lukie doesn't have any pants on!  We're full-speed-ahead potty training, so underpants only!)


P1010438


P1010439


Here's our Granola Bar mix:


P1010441


The kids loved helping pat the mixture down on the jelly roll pan:


P1010442


And, here's our finished product all patted out:


P1010443


The recipe didn't call for it, but I decided to put the pan into the freezer to "flash freeze" it to set them more quickly.  I kept them there for about 30 minutes and when I pulled them out, they were perfectly set.........so, I cut them and, of course, we tasted them and the were DELICIOUS!!  This recipe yields such a soft and tasty treat!


I wasn't quite sure how I should store them, so I thought I'd individually wrap them to make them true Granola Bars!


Here's how I did it:


Pull out a piece of wax paper and cut it in half.  Set a bar on it:


P1010444


Turn it, then pull up on the top and bottom of the waxed paper:


P1010445


Roll them down together:


P1010446


Then fold the two ends like you were wrapping a present and fold them under the bar:


P1010447


Voila!  There you have it!  Your very own, packaged, homemade granola bar:


P1010448 P1010449


I stashed some in the freezer and kept the rest in the fridge.  What a great afternoon snack, or lunch item!!  They really are so tasty, very frugal and much healthier than the store bought ones!!!  (And, since I'm frugal-that-way----I'll be saving all the waxed paper to package my next batch!!)


Here's a breakdown of what it cost me to make these:


Rice Krispies:  The entire box was 25 cents, so 2 1/2 cups would be about 10 cents


2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats:  Again, I got the canister for 25 cents, so 2 cups, about 10 cents


1 cup Raisins:  Canister cost me $1, so, about 25 cents


1/4 cup Brown Sugar:  Bought a big bag at Costco for $2.50, so, about 10 cents


1/2 cup Honey:  Big jar of honey for $2.50, so, about 25 cents


1/2 cup Peanut Butter:  This jar was FREE, so, FREE


1/2 cup Chocolate Chips:  Bought HUGE bag at Costco for $4.50, so, about 25 cents.


TOTAL:  $1.05


Recipe yielded about 30 Granola Bars----that's about 3 CENTS per bar!!  On average, a box of 8 granola bars that you would purchase at the store are about $2.50-$3.00 a box and sometimes full of preservatives and not-so-great-stuff!


This is one frugal (and tasty!) Granola Bar!!


No comments:

Post a Comment