In preparation for January's "Eating from the Pantry Challenge," I'm doing a big overhaul and inventory of all of our food!!!
I am very blessed to have lots of freezer space and storage in our home. We have 4 freezers: 3 large, full-size ones, one over-the-fridge freezer, and another smaller over-the-fridge freezer. Our refrigerator/freezer combo in our kitchen is a mini one, so we also have a full-size refrigerator in the garage, too! Phew! Lots of place where food can hide or get lost!! And, by the way, they're all FULL!!
I also have 3 main areas (pantry/cupboards) where I store all of our non-perishables, canned goods, etc, as well as the many drawers and cupboards that are full in the kitchen.
The more I have looked through all of this, the more I realize that this challenge might not be too much of a challenge, after all!! Meaning: I HAVE LOTS OF FOOD!!!!! The challenging part will be coming up with innovative and creative ways to use it all, and staying OUT of the Grocery Stores!
So, with that said, I have come up with some goals for this month's Challenge that I hope I can achieve!!
Goals for the Month of January (and, hopefully, beyond!):
1. Plan and prepare a Menu Plan for the ENTIRE month of January. (To be done by 1/3/10)
2. Decrease our usual $400/month budget to just $100 this month.
3. Only go to the store for FREE or nearly FREE items, as well as fresh fruit/veggies and dairy. If need be, I will THROW THE ADS AWAY when they come each week. (It's much easier if I don't look at them!!) I have this fear that I'll miss some amazing deal.......well, so what?!
4. Put any extra money saved on Groceries this month (and the entire year), into a Disneyland Fund. We are hoping to take a trip to Disneyland in about 2 years, so here's where the savings for this trip will start!
5. And, finally, collect all the free, or nearly free, items that I have accumulated that I am sure we will NOT be eating, and donate them.
I am super excited about this challenge, and I hope you are feeling encouraged and motivated to take another look at what you have, how you can use it, and how you can save money!!!
Redcamp 2-lbs. Cotton Flannel Sleeping Bag – $29.15
56 minutes ago