Friday, June 19, 2009

Faithful Friday---Why complain??

"Just be thankful for the good things that you've got.  For the good things that you've got, are, for many....just a dream.  So be thankful for the good things that you've got."



This song has been stuck in my head lately.  It was played for us many times as children, and, Mom, correct me if I'm wrong, but this was sung by Evie, right???  I couldn't recite any more of the lyrics if I tried, but that's OK, because the heart of the song are the words above.

BE.  THANKFUL.

And, not just be thankful...... but, be thankful for the GOOD things that we have.

This, to me, now, hits home in relation to all the "stuff" we own.  I have a HUGE "To-do-before-baby-arrives" List (In addition to my "Preparing-for-baby-freezer-stash"!!) and as I am doing the tasks on the list and going through all of our baby/kids stuff that I have saved, I find myself sometimes yearning and wanting "new" instead of being thankful and fine with the "old"!!

For instance, Mark installed the car seat base a few weeks ago....I have to say, it was so cute.  He just couldn't wait to get it in the car!!  When I came out to inspect his work, he had the base and the car seat all ready to go in the car, and my first thought was, "Man, we really need a new car seat!!"  This will be our 3rd child that has used this seat and it's looking a little dingy, faded and used, and I just couldn't help but feel like a new one was needed.

It's crazy, too, because if you read my post from yesterday, I LOVE buying Second Hand, I LOVE getting used things, I LOVE being frugal and I LOVE saving money!!  So, a part of me doesn't understand why I would be pining for new things, but then I realize that it's something that's pretty much programmed in all of us.  We all like new things.  It's not a bad thing to want something new and it doesn't mean we still don't like the used ones, but new is FUN, new is EXCITING, new is, well........NEW!!  And there are plenty of times when buying something new is completely good and fine and warranted!

But, as I looked at the car seat some more I realized that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Yes, it's a little faded and looks a little used, but, really......who cares???  It's still in complete working order, it's safe and will do the job just fine!  I need to be THANKFUL that we have a good one that still works and will keep our new baby safe.

I know this seems like a little thing in such a big world, but, I truly think that if we all examine the "good" things that we have, and are thankful for them, without yearning and always wanting new things, we'll realize we just might have everything we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment