Thursday, June 11, 2009

Who knew?!

So, for tonight's dinner, the Meal Plan is Homemade Lasagna, garlic bread and Broccoli.  Since we're going to be gone this afternoon, I decided to make the sauce for the Lasagna this morning, after breakfast.  I also decided to double it, so that I could freeze half of it.  As I was starting the process, I wanted to try out my 'veggie puree' idea!  I have never pureed radishes and I have never added them to anything, but I thought it would be worth a try!  So, I got out my trusty baby food grinder (which, by the way, is an excellent product!!) and here's what I did, it's super straight forward and easy:

P1010058I chopped them up and threw them in the processor with a little bit of water.


They have the greatest purplish-hue once they are all pureed!


P1010059


And, here's the finished product:


P1010060



A little soupy, so I might have added a bit much water, but other than that, the consistency was great.


By now, my sauce had been simmering for awhile, so I thought I'd add the puree....I started out slow and added just a touch.  I didn't know how potent it was going to be.




[caption id="attachment_694" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Now you see it!!"]P1010061[/caption]






[caption id="attachment_695" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Now you don't!!"]Now you don't!![/caption]

I let that little bit simmer for awhile and then I went to taste it, and I couldn't tell, at all, that any radish was in there, so what did I do???  I put the WHOLE bowl of puree in!!  I then let that simmer for about 20 minutes and went back to taste it, again.......what do you know????  You can't taste any difference!!  YES!  It worked!!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Along with my puree endeavor, I wanted to try out Michelle's idea of using my Radishes to make a simple Radish sandwich.  In her experience in France, she said they used a baguette with butter spread on it and sliced radishes.  How simple!!  I HAD to try it!!


Well, I didn't have a baguette on hand, and I'm always trying to be thrifty, so the closest thing I could find was a Wheatberry Engligh Muffin.  I decided to toast it, to make it crispier, then I slathered on the butter.  I cut the radishes very thinly and placed them on the muffin.  I then sprinkled just a touch of salt on top.


Here's what it looked like:


P1010063



OH. MY. GOODNESS.


I gobbled this thing up in about 2 seconds and COULDN'T get my next muffin in the toaster fast enough for sandwich #2!!!!!


WHO KNEW that this simple little thing would be SO TASTY????!!!!


Thank you SO MUCH for the idea, Michelle!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment