Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Yummy Bagels

As the kiddos were napping yesterday, I thought I'd tackle my "project" of making Bagels!!  I have NEVER tried making them before and was a little intimidated, but the recipe seemed easy enough, so I thought I'd try it!!

HERE's the link to the recipe I used, but here it is, all spelled out:

1 1/4 cups water
2 tsp yeast
1 Tbls sugar
2 tsp salt
1 Tbls oil
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour

Combine the water, yeast, sugar, oil and salt in the mixer. After a sponge has formed, add the 3 - 3 1/2 cups flour. The recipe says the dough will be smooth and elastic. Mine was not sticky at all. Let it sit in the bowl, covered for 15 minutes. Divide it into 8 pieces, roll into 10" snakes. Wet the ends and form into rings. Place on a floured baking sheet, cover and let rise 15 minutes.

Here's mine "rising" on the baking sheet:

P1010127

Boil the bagels, 4 at a time in 4 quarts of water, 1 Tbls sugar, and 1 tsp salt

(As you can see, this recipe does not state how long to boil them, so I really didn't have a clue.  I did them for about 5 minutes.)

Here's a picture of mine boiling.  The steam kind of messed up the shot, but you get the idea!

P1010128

Place the boiled Bagels on an ungreased cookie sheet.  And bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.

(In my experience from yesterday, GREASE the sheet....mine stuck a bit.)

P1010129

P1010130

As you can see, mine are not as "fluffy" and risen as I feel like they should have been, but that would be my only complaint.  And, it could have been something I did wrong in the process.  BUT, even though they didn't rise as well, they were DELICIOUS and sooooo tasty!!  I will definitely try these again and see if they turn out a little more robust.

I'm also thinking of trying THIS recipe, too.  It looks a little more complicated, but worth a shot!

I am soooooo not an expert baker, so if I can do this, you can too!!  If you've ever thought about making Bagels, I say, why not give it a try?!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I didn't know you were a baker, too! My we do have some things in common. Ever tried pita bread? I've been using this recipe for a really long time : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peppys-Pita-Bread/Detail.aspx

    One tip - I put my pita's on individual parchment papers, they are easier to transfer from the counter to the oven (if they get bent, they will not puff).

    Second, less important tip - I put a baking stone in the oven while it's pre-heating, and cook the pitas on there. It helps to keep the temperature drops (opening and closing the oven door) to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post Script - I meant that I put them on parchment paper as soon as I roll them out, before rising. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh! I LOVE the idea of making pita bread!! I've never tried it, but you can be I am now!! Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete